(photo by Naomi Smith)
Mom said she wished there was some
way I could stay longer.
Instead,
I left her.
Really,
I knew there was a way I could've stayed longer in our two story white house on
St. Anthony Street. But I chose not to and now, as I watched the flat dry land
flicker past me through the window, I hated myself for it. I was going, she was
staying. This, I thought, must be a mother’s pain – watching her necked,
dimpled and soft skinned babies – leave her.
Life is filled with leaving. Like the time the
first one left, the second and third all the way through the seventh - Each
sibling with a different destination, each with a worthy pursuit. Mom sent them
all away with bright eyes – glazed with courage - but her hugs were quick. I
helped boot them off too, usually with a sleepy embrace on a dark morning - a morning
much like this particular day’s – so early that the dew was still crystallizing as I shivered in the parking lot line to catch the 7 o’clock bus back to
Lubbock.
I
remember watching them leave all those years, we felt them leaving too. The old
cement walls in our house grew a little taller with every departure, the stairs
above my bed creaked less; silence didn't always feel like a gift. One day, it
was my turn to go. I wonder what the rooms sounded like the day I made my way to
collage through west Texas’ cotton landscape, an ocean view of white as far as
my expectant eyes could see.
Five
years later and here I was making the same trip; so familiar. The view was
uglier and emptier than ever and my face, faintly reflected in the glass was
equally as pail as the dead-grassed-plains. But I had to go back, I had to -
one more time. I pondered the decisions that
waited for me in Lubbock. There were people
I knew I needed to say good-bye to, more people to hug. There were things worth
finishing before I had to leave, again.

Hugs. I can't imagine how the first goodbye hug will feel. I hope I can face it courageously.
ReplyDeletePraying for you! And hoping for a coffee sometime to hear more...
:) you will have many hugs to give :)
ReplyDeletei don't think i've ever gotten to have a coffee with you, Denise, and that sounds wonderful to me!
so are you coming home or moving somewhere else? you need to come have coffee with me too and meet my Ruth Ellen :)
ReplyDeleteI was happy to see a new blog...I've missed your blogs
love you!
ahhh! i have to meet Ruth Ellen! i'm moving to NY but i'm coming to SA for a few days so lets figure out a time! love you too!
DeleteMercy, this entry is phenomenal. It holds such bittersweet beauty and I felt honored to sip it all in through your words. Love you.
ReplyDeleteThanks K for reading. i love you and love how well you see me.
Deletehmm, it's taken me a few days to be ready to comment on your post-it's good, really and beautiful, really and it's true.
ReplyDeleteI think how change is almost always perceived as loss in this life. It's easier, though, when I pray about the good works God has prepared for you from eternity past, pray that you will find them and then do them. . .I believe you are-and that makes me happy (even when there are tears. . .)
much love. . .
i'm excited to do those good works! thanks for praying that, for being brave enough to hold your kids with an open hand and for sharing some of your tears with me.
Delete